Did you know?
San Diego County produces more avocados, flowers, and nursery plants than any other county in the nation!
Farming is an essential component in San Diego’s economy and welfare. The San Diego Farm Bureau has developed a program that allows the average consumer to support our local farmers!
“Friends of Farming in San Diego County are likeminded people who know the value of farms in our communities and region and want to protect them. Friends of Farming was created by the grassroots non-profit organization, San Diego County Farm Bureau, to give all who would support local farmers a powerful way to join with others, and as a group to assert that agriculture in our community is not only important, but necessary”
To become a part of Friends of Farming requires a one-time membership fee of $27, which is small in comparison to the benefits and the cause. Below are a list of benefits:
- Every Friend receives a complimentary subscription toEdible San Diego, the county’s premiere food, drink, and farming magazine dedicated to connecting consumers with local growers, retailers, chefs, and food artisans via stories on new products, old ways, markets, restaurants, must-read books and thriving traditions.
- Friends receive discounted admission to local attractions like the Carlsbad Flower Fields and the San Diego County Fair.
- Friends receive early access and discounted rates to popular events put on by the San Diego County Farm Bureau, including:
- Farm Tour Day – Farm Bureau’s annual tour of 15 local farms that routinely sells out.
- Feast from the Farm – an extraordinary white tablecloth farm-to-table feast held annually at exclusive on-the-farm locations.
- Friends receive a quarterly newsletter keeping them up to date on what is new in San Diego agriculture including events, resources, and timely information.
- Finally, Friends of Farming will have access to exclusive fun and educational on-the-farm experiences including behind-the-scenes farm tours, tours of packing and processing operations, and activities like participating in seasonal crop harvests. Invitations to these events will only be sent to current Friends of Farming.
Friends of Farming is a one of a kind program that really bridges the gap between consumers and farmers! For more information and to sign up please visit www.friendsoffarming.com